Southeast Europe Distribution System Operator Security of Supply Working Group (DSO)
Improving Distribution Operations and System Management in Southeast Europe
The DSO Working Group was established in July 2013 by USAID, USEA and the distribution system operators of Southeast Europe to improve the security of supply on the "last mile of service." The Working Group completed a landmark regional benchmarking study of over 100 quality of service, financial, and customer service key performance indicators. This analysis is updated regularly and is used as a continuous monitoring tool to assess the progress of the member DSOs in comparison to one another and also to one of the largest electric utilities in the U.S., American Electric Power(AEP).
Most recently, the Working Group completed an analysis to improve distribution system efficiency by identifying common sources of technical losses and recommending solutions to be applied on a regional basis to reduce them. The Working Group is also just beginning to update a 2015 study focused on the technical challenges DSOs face in integrating increasing amounts of renewable energy into their networks.
The Working Group is demand driven to respond to the needs of the distribution companies in the region, with an emphasis on the following:
- Smart Grid technology applications to reduce line losses, integrate renewable energy and implement asset management programs;
- Utility safety standards;
- Development of business continuity plans to assist electric companies plan for emergency scenarios that may impact their ability to provide reliable electric power to consumers;
- Development of strategies and procedures, including mutual assistance plans where appropriate, for fast restoration of service after a significant outage; and
- Benchmarking utility operational best practices
Members of the Working Group include representatives from the DSOs in Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Croatia, Georgia, Kosovo, Macedonia, Montenegro and Serbia. The energy regulatory authorities for these DSOs participate in the Working Group as observers:
How Can Southeast Europe’s Energy Distribution Grid Support the Region’s Renewable Energy Targets? 11 Key Findings and Recommendations for Leaders to...November 2020 - Program Publications
Southeast Europe Distribution System Operator Working Group Addresses Emergency Response and Preparedness in Response to Balkan FloodingMay 2015 - Program Publications
October 2016 - Program Publications