SCOPE OF WORK
The objective of this desk study is to assist in enhancing the ERC’s capacity to develop and manage a competitive and transparent natural gas market. These competitive, transparent markets will facilitate the mobilization of investment in the natural gas sector. The desk study will provide recommendations to promote policy and regulatory reforms to spur market-based acquisition and integration of advanced energy technologies and increase the cost-competitiveness of energy supply. The continued transition to open, competitive markets will facilitate the provision of affordable, reliable power to end users.
PROJECT TASKS AND DELIVERABLES
At the onset of this project, the Consultant(s) will review available documentation on Thailand’s natural gas market development history, relevant laws, regulations, key stakeholders, and plans for gas market design reforms. The Consultant(s) will also meet virtually with representatives from the Energy Regulatory Commission of Thailand for additional background information. The Consultant(s) will then develop a desk study on the evolution of gas market design reforms in Thailand, best practices in natural gas market design from other countries around the world, and providing recommendations for optimizing the natural gas market design and structure in Thailand.
Task 1: Background Review of Thailand’s Natural Gas Sector Regulations and Energy Laws
The Consultant(s) will review Thailand’s natural gas sector regulations and relevant energy laws governing natural gas markets. Relevant policy frameworks for review should include, but will not be limited to:
- Energy Industry Act (2007)
- Notification of the Energy Regulatory Commission on Transmission System Operator Regulatory Framework (2020)
The Consultant(s), with the support of USEA, will then organize a virtual meeting with representatives from the Energy Regulatory Commission to discuss the gas market reform objectives of ERC and the Government of Thailand. Following the meeting, the Consultant(s) will submit summary notes to USEA.
Task 1 Deliverables:
- Progress report detailing background review
- Summary notes of introductory meeting with ERC
Task 2: Draft Desk Study on Thailand’s Natural Gas Market Design and Structure
The Consultant(s) will prepare a draft desk study on Thailand’s natural gas market design and structure and submit it to USEA for review and comment. The desk study will include:
- A detailed analysis of Thailand’s current natural gas market structure, including a discussion of the progress made through previous reforms to a transparent, competitive market;
- A detailed review of best practices in competitive natural gas market design using actual examples of natural gas market structures from around the world. The review should identify how various aspects of natural gas market design can facilitate competitive, transparent markets that encourage investment and efficient development of infrastructure;
- Comprehensive recommendations for next steps in Thailand’s gas market liberalization. The recommendations should focus on concrete actions that can be taken by ERC and other stakeholders to promote a competitive, transparent natural gas market in Thailand. Recommendations could include policy and regulatory reforms, operational standards, licensing, and strategies to attract new participants in a natural gas market.
Task 2 Deliverables:
- Progress reports detailing status of drafting desk study
- Draft version of Desk Study on Thailand’s Natural Gas Market Design and Structure
Task 3: Submit Final Desk Study on Thailand’s Natural Gas Market Design and Structure
Following a review of the draft Desk Study by USEA and ENR, the Consultant(s) will make revisions as required to the draft Desk Study and submit a final version of the Desk Study. Based on the final Desk Study, the Consultant(s) will also prepare a PowerPoint presentation summarizing key findings to be delivered during a virtual meeting with representatives from ERC.
Task 3 Deliverables:
- Final Desk Study on Thailand’s Natural Gas Market Design and Structure
- Draft presentation materials for virtual meeting with ERC on the Desk Study
Task 4: Virtual Presentation of Key Findings and Recommendations of the Desk Study on Thailand’s Natural Gas Market Design and Structure
Following approval of the final Desk Study and presentation materials from Task 3, the Consultant(s), with support from USEA, will schedule a virtual meeting with representatives of ERC to deliver a presentation summarizing the key findings and recommendations from the Desk Study. The Consultant(s) will be prepared to answer questions from ERC representatives on the key findings and recommendations. After the presentation, the Consultant(s) will submit to USEA summary notes of the presentation and the questions posed by ERC.
Task 4 Deliverables:
- Final presentation materials summarizing key findings and recommendations of the Desk Study
- Summary notes of the virtual presentation and feedback/questions from ERC